Wednesday, January 13, 2016

What do people thank you for?

The second day of the blogging challenge at Live Your Legend is to write about things people thank you for. During the first 30 seconds of thinking, one thing became readily apparent: Women express thanks exceedingly more than men do. Maybe there's a chance that it isn't a direct correlation. Maybe I just find myself helping more women than men. Or women may just be more polite in expressing thanks. The one exception I could think of was my Dad. My Dad thanks me for every favor or gift, either via text or phone call within a few days. Coincidentally, he has six sisters...

My Dad always thanks me for gifts I've given him over the years. He always thanks our clan when we show up for extended family parties or events. He knows how difficult those things can be at this point in our lives (although guilt is not beneath him when we're too busy). My wife always thanks me for helping out around the house and for giving her free time on the weekends now that we have a son. She always thanks me when we spend time with her family.

Although she doesn't say it, I can always tell my dog is thankful when I take her on walks, hikes, or feed her any type of food whatsoever.

Maybe an unintended effect of this was realizing just how little people say "thank you." I'm going to make a concerted effort to say "thank you" to those people who are helpful or kind more often.

No comments: