Monday, May 9, 2011

Catch Up

Probably like a week's worth of workouts to record. Here goes...

May 1st
: While the rest of Philadelphia was running Broad Street today, I was gearing up for another long run. Target today was somewhere in the vicinity of 15 miles. Going to be pretty tough to accumulate that many miles after AOR, but even though I was tired I wasn't feeling very sore. I dropped Brigid and her sister off at the starting line of the Broad Street Run and then headed home to get some housework done. They got back around 1230ish and I left promptly, having delayed long enough for the day. I could tell from the beginning that it wasn't going to be pretty. I started to feel somewhere sluggish on the SRT, took a few walking breaks and told myself the lethargy would pass. Eventually, I got into a slow, steady rhythm up Shawmont and into the park. After about 1-2 miles on trails, I quickly opted to finish this part of the route on Forbidden Drive. As soon as I descended toward the drive, I had to take another break on a park bench for a few minutes. At this point, I could feel some sharp pains in my right calf/shin area and didn't think any records needed to be broken today. I told myself I would finish the run, but half way down Barren Hill I ended up calling Brigid to come pick me up. Pretty miserable all together, and I was frustrated that I had to throw in the towel that close to home. But it wasn't worth any injury this close to the race. 11 miles total.

May 2nd: Rest day

May 3rd: Easy 5 miles today with Brian through the quarry and the nature preserve. We both admitted that the relay was still fresh in our legs, but he seemed to have a little more pop in his step that I did. Weather has been holding up great lately: Low 70s with no humidity. I guess we are going to get a spring season after all. 5.5 miles.

May 4th: Strength in the late afternoon.

Squats 4 X 3
Pullups 60 for the day
Bench Press 4 X 5
OH Squat 4 X 3 (95)
Incline DB Press
Cleans

Short run as soon as I got home. 2.7 miles through Conshy.

May 5th: Another easy 5 mile loop via Church Road and the Chester Valley Trail with Brian and Becky. Brian was a little more sluggish today than he seemed on Tuesday, although I think it was because Becky was pushing the pace. I've done this route several times with the group, but I think it's one of the remaining routes that I'm not too familiar with. It's all paved, with a 1-2 mile section on the paved CVT. A pretty nice route. 5.2 miles.

Later on in the day...some basketball with co-workers after work. ~2 hours

May 6th: Some more basketball in the PM.

May 7th: Unscheduled rest day.

May 8th: 10 miles in the Wissahickon, on the Northwestern loop of the four corners run. Great day, great weather, great run. Got off to a later start as usual, probably around 1145. But the weather was great and I was thankful for the crowded trails. Breaks up the run nicely to see other people out enjoying the park. I think it was a record day for mountain bikers. I tried the route in reverse in order to figure out my bearings on the meadow section adjacent to Northwestern Ave closer to Ridge Ave. I found a trail that was freshly bulldozed to keep runners and hikers off the grassy portions. The route didn't bring me quite exactly where I was hoping it would, but a few more times through here and I should have my bearings down. I used the MT-101s and my legs were feeling more sore than I would have thought. I'm going to make it a point to try the Wave Precisions tomorrow and a CamelBak and see how I feel with both.

2 comments:

John W said...

That relay recap sounded a lot like the Hood to coast right down to sleeping on the gym floor.

John W said...

Pennypack terrain has nothing on the Wissahickon, nothing even approaches the hardest climbs in the wiss. Generally dirt fire trails with mild to moderate ups and downs.

I was trying to think of a time I could invite you down for a long run in the Pennypack but we spent the weekend at the Jersey Shore and most of my runs were midday.

4-corners runs in the Wissahickon will make Pennypack feel easy. I know it felt easy to me after so many miles there.