Thursday, July 15, 2010

Bench Press, Cleans, "Joshie"

Early afternoon

Strength
Bench Press 4 X 5
*failed 5th rep on the third set. Defintely talked myself out of that today.


Clean (Power clean with a front squat) 4 X 5
Load: 155#


Metcon
"Joshie"
3 Rounds for Time:

40 pound dumbbell snatch, 21 reps, right arm (Dumbbell Power Clean and Press)
21 L-Pull-ups (Kipping Pullups)
40 pound dumbbell snatch, 21 reps, left arm
21 L-Pull-ups


23:20

Round 1: 6:24
Round 2: 7:48
Round 3: 8:58


Workout comments: Still struggling with the cleans. I can't really seem to get under the bar, mostly because of fear and dropping the weight. I'll have to start practicing with lighter weight in the future. I performed the bench presses with a closer grip to try and build my triceps up more, which I think is the limiting factor in my bench presses. Close grip pushups are on the menu for the next few weeks.

Joshie is probably one of the toughest workouts out there. I had to scale both the movements or I would have been there for over an hour. I was feeling kinda off for the next few hours afterwards, too. Something wrong with my digestion or what. I ended up talking to John W. a few hours later and he confirmed what I have been thinking for a while. Soreness...all the time. In the morning when I wake up, immediately following a workout, the several hours following a workout, and still before bed. The only advice I have received on the subject is to dial in my nutrition, gradually cutting out all impurities: essentially following a Paleo diet. At this point in my life, it's just not feasable to do so, but I can work as hard as I can to make it as relatively clean as possible. We'll see how that goes.

No comments: