Thursday, July 29, 2010

Deadlift, Pushups, Moderate Metcon

Early afternoon

Strength

Deadlift 5 X 5
Load: 280 (80% of 1RM)

Diamond Pushups 5 X 10
Performed as supersets along with DL

*Diamond pushups are pushups done with hands close together, forefingers and thumbs touching, essentially forming a diamond. They work your triceps mainly, which is a limiting factor in the progress of many people's bench press, according to Lou Simmons. I'll try this a few times a week and see if I see any improvement.

Metcon

3 Rounds for time:

5 Squat Cleans (135#)
10 Pullups
30 Incline Situps

9:07

Workout comments: I'm going to start throwing pullups into every metcon I can, provided there is a pullup bar around, in addition to working strict or weighted pullups each week. No sorenes yesterday morning, which is a good sign. Nothing significant about my ankle, especially with the run yesterday.

Chris R. mentioned yesterday that a friend of his was all set for surgery due to a calf problem he developed after running regularly. Doctors could not find the problem and were (eager) to operate. This guy tried new shoes on a whim and found himself cured and running >20 miles per week less than 2 weeks later. I guess it's worth a shot, since I haven't replaced my running shoes in a while. I was on the kick of letting the soles wear down as much as possible to help my foot strike, but I guess injury trumps that.

Anything is worth a shot at this point.

No comments: