Thursday, February 17, 2011

Uphill Run

Late evening

Uphill treadmill run
7% grade
40 minutes
3.67 miles

Workout comments: It was pretty late and I had a short break from work. Wasn't really up for any strength work and I couldn't stand a generic treadmill run, so I mixed things up with a 3.6 mile climb at a slow steady pace.

I ordered the New Balance MT101 trail runners today. In response to the Vibram hysteria that has hit the running world, many companies are unleashing minimalist shoes especially trail runners. They keep your foot low to the ground and mimic barefoot running without feeling like our are running barefoot. By this I mean you won't feel every rock and twig that you come across while running through the woods. This has often been my problem when running with Vibrams through the Wissahickon. I spend too much time gingerly avoiding foot traps when it's much funner to concentrate on the run. Forget about running on the gravel and stone laden Forbidden Drive. This will wreck your feet if you're wearing Vibrams. Sadly, the only surface that feels comfortable, other than the rare grass fields of the Greater Philadelphia Area, is the road. And this has been a problem for many Vibram supporters. Man was made to run barefoot, but not on the harsh asphalt and concrete of modern neighborhoods.

No comments: