Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Running Intervals

Early afternoon

I think my knee has finally healed to the point where I can begin running normally again. I figure I can't possible fit in daily runs and still maintain a schedule of basketball and classes, so I'm going to have to increase the quality of these workouts considerably. I think the format I'm going to follow is pretty loose, but still allows for some good quality workouts:

Tuesday/Wednesday: Interval workout with at least 3 miles of high intensity miles
Thursday/Friday: Tempo session lasting approximately 20-40 minutes
Saturday/Sunday: Long slow run with increasing speed towards the tail end of the run

I'm optimistic that I can fit in at least another recovery run on the weekend or throughout the week. This, mixed with at least two basketball games per week should do the trick increasing my endurance AND speed.

Today's workout was an interval-based workout from Crossfit Endurance and went as follows:

1 mile warmup at an easy 9:00 pace and then immediately into
4:00 at 6:30 (3:00 rest)
2:00 at 6:00 (0:30 rest)
1:00 at 5:30 (3:00 rest)
2:00 at 6:00 (0:30 rest)
4:00 at 6:30 (Done)
Another half mile of jogging/walking to cool down. Call it a day.

Since this was my first workout back I didn't really know what I would expect from my body. I thought 6:30 was pushing it but it felt better than expected. Even the faster intervals seemed within reach and I wasn't gasping for air after each one. The true test would be the final interval and I nailed it. However, one of the down sides about training on a treadmill is that fact that you can get lulled into a particular pace, especially if it's too easy. I would like to think that I would run more off a natural feel if I was outside and probably would have clocked much faster times, but it's just much to icy and there is too much snow on the roads for that.

About 4.5 miles total.

No comments: