Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Boot Camp, Track Intervals

Early afternoon

Workout:

30s Add ons
Alt. R/L Shoulder Press (35# DB)
Alt. R/L Push Press (35#DB)
Alt. R/L High Pulls (35# DB)

Basically, you start with single arm shoulder presses with each arm for 30s each, followed by 30s of rest. This is followed by shoulder presses with each arm, followed by push presses with each arm, then 60s rest. Finally, shoulder presses, push presses, and high pulls. Did not keep track of the reps. Left shoulder somewhat sore during this workout. Not a good sign.

30, 20, 10

KB Swings (#50)
Dips (18in step)
Squats

20 Double Unders

*The double unders were performed after each round.
6:16

Late afternoon

Track intervals

1600m (3:00 rest)
1200m (2:30 rest)
1000m (2:00 rest)
800m (1:30 rest)
600m (1:00 rest)
400m (0:30 rest)

*Each interval was meant to be done 1 sec faster /400m split. In other words, based on a 5:51 for 1600m, here are what the rest of my times should have looked like: 4:21, 3:35, 2:50, 2:06, 1:23.

Times: 5:51, 4:24, 3:48, 3:01, 2:19, 1:22

Workout comments: I went down to Chestnut Hill Academy for a track session with the Wissahickon Wanderers. It was very impromptu, and I got there within minutes of them starting their workout. I guess I got about a half mile warmup before things got rolling, and that is being modest. I ran into Leo S. while I was there, and we caught up a bit before things got started. I've seen a bunch of these guys at various trail races over the past two years, but never introduced myself. There was another guy whose name escapes me now that I ran into before the Half-Wit Half Marathon. What a disaster that race was. I was relieved to find out that everyone felt the same about that. They are targeting that race again this year. I would love to sign up, but I'm not sure I'll be able to with the shore season rolling around.

I wasn't expecting to hang with most of the runners there, but I had no expectations and tried not to look at my watch for the first interval. I was a bit surprised by 5:51. I was pushing it, but was expecting something more like 6:30. Maybe I was pushing a little too hard, because the subsequent intervals were defintely out of my reach. I was usually near the back when each interval was finished, so I was running on limited rest compared to the others. When all was said and done, I think my times were better than I expected, but still a lot of room for improvement. This is something I'll defintely take advantage of in the future.

No comments: