Monday, June 7, 2010

Malvern Run

Today was supposed to be the first day of my so-called "schedule" of workouts. The workout for today was squats, cleans, and bench presses. When I woke up this morning, I knew that plan was out. It was cool, clear, and breezy outside today and there was defintely going to be some people running. Oddly, only Paul wanted to run today, and we headed up a different route than I'm used to here in Malvern. Paul promised plenty of trails (and hills). Damn.

We headed out on a 7-8 mile loop that climbed two long challenging hills. I could defintely feel the trail race still in my legs from Saturday. It was grueling, but we soon made it onto the horseshoe trail, which traced back and forth for about a mile and a half. It was rocky and technical, but better than being out on the roads. Paul shot ahead a few times and I gradually caught up, although I'm not sure if it was my increasing pace or his sympathetic slow down. The weather really was awesome, especially in the shade and there was plenty of breeze. If I was sweating at all, I couldn't tell even though we were pushing the pace compared to what I'm used to. The trip home made up for the tough route out: mostly downhill roads with minimal traffic. The run ended in a long mile flat the Paul usually uses for some temp, albeit not today. I was thankful for that, mostly because I didn't know where to turn back into our office complex.

Pretty good run altogether. I wish I was more familiar with the area because I wouldn't have to depend on other people to make it back in one piece. I've attempted to run on my own in Malvern in the past and got stuck on some long detours.

About 7.5 miles in 61 minutes today.

No comments: