Saturday, March 19, 2011

Long Run

Brigid and I got a relatively early start to our long run (~11AM) and made our way down to the Wissahickon. I've been hoping that we can do the Wissahickon Four Corners run as a few of our long runs later in the training season. That run stretches up to about 21 miles, based on GPS data I've found from other runners. I think I'm pretty familiar with most of the course, but I just wanted to be sure of a couple of turns. Our run today called for about 12 miles, so we decided we would try and tackle the southern most portion of the route, where is spans between Valley Green and Ridge Ave. One thing I learned today is that there is a section of trail on the other side of Lincoln Drive. It's not too long, but does provide a nice alternative to the paved bike path that runs along the creek.

Running on the trails is great, but only if you're willing to let your ego take a bit of a hit. The pace is much slower since you're tackling hills and the terrain can get pretty tough at some points, particularly if it has rained like it has been in recent weeks. Downhills become treacherous and uphill portions take some careful negotiating in order not to spin your wheels. Still, a bad day in the park is much better than a good day on the roads. My biggest problem is that I think I'm developing an addiction to trails and won't run on the roads unless I have to. It just adds another obstacle to getting out the door on those tough-to-get-off-the-couch days.

At least the weather was great today. As usual, there were a ton of people on the trails at this point, but it never really seems to irk me. It actually gives me more of an uplifting feeling to stumble across someone that offers a kindly hello. Usually it comes with a small break to interact with Spot, and I think it's OK to let the watch run for that.

About 11 miles in 2 hours and 9 minutes.

No comments: