Thursday, March 24, 2011

Unafraid

I'm definitely not used to longish runs during the week. In fact, about 60-70 minutes seems to be my limit Monday-Friday. Tag on a long run or two on the weekend and I'm golden. Today Brigid and I were supposed to run 8 miles and decided to tackle all of them on the trails. The sun has been out until about 730 these days, so we had plenty of light to finish before dark. I still seem to be having some problems with my GPS cutting out during runs in the valley. I found this run documented on a verified website as 8.3 miles. But my GPS only registered it as 7. Go figure. I hope we aren't running that slow, but you can never tell.

I've seen tons of deer running on the trails here and in Malvern. But tonight Brigid and I stumbled across a doe with absolutely no fear of us. I've never heard of a rabid dear, but there is a first time for everything. I was especially wary of a stag and babies in the area, as I've come across this before. The doe was probably standing about 3-4 feet off the trail and Brigid and I had no intention of turning around and running the 2 miles back to Forbidden Drive in order to go around it. I looked around quickly to make sure it was alone and then we sprinted past it. Not even a flinch. I was a little surprised at how far it can swivel its head around and had flashes of the Exorcist which made me run just a bit faster past. It was an odd experience.

No comments: