Monday, April 18, 2011

Rest Day

I was hoping to get in some weight training but was feeling pretty trashed this morning when I woke up. Pile on some prep work for a presentation tonight in class and lab work after class and I was just not feeling any gym time today. I was hoping to get in at least two strength sessions per week, but it has been tough to get in at least one.

I have a rudimentary training plan for the 50K in May that I have been following. I log my miles when I can and don't make too big a deal of it when I miss a day or cut a run short. As long as I hammer out those long runs on the weekend, I think I'll be just fine. Well this week was the first week that I really kept track of everything and realized I fell just short of the 50 mile mark. Not a staggering total by elite standards, but certainly the most miles I have ever run in one week. At least that I can remember. Running seems to come fairly easy now. I remember the days when I first graduated from college and needed an outlet to stay in shape. I had spent years running to cut weight for the rowing team, so this seemed like the best option. I only had one route that took me from my house down the Main St. towpath, up Ridge, down Domino Lane and home again. I finally branched out, but many of my runs remained a solo effort.

Today I have the luxury of running with a fairly large group at lunch whenever I want. In addition, there is a vast network of trails surrounding my work place and several huge trail networks near my house. My wife has been great about training for races with me and just running with me in general, so there is rarely even the need to run solo or bring headphones.

I think there are many reasons to love running. Some people are lucky and truly appreciate the act of running. Living in a picturesque location probably doesn't hurt. But then there are those people who probably just like the camaraderie of the sport. People who like to compete, who like to challenge themselves. I think I probably fall into this category. If it helps me get out the door, can I really complain?

No comments: