Saturday, April 23, 2011

Wissahickon four corners

The miles are starting to rack up. This would be my second attempt at the four corners run. I decided to run the southern loop first. I thought it might give me a mental edge to run this part after I felt so horrible after running it last week. Brigid ran this first loop with me and it was definitely a boost, but I wish I could have finished after that. I was feeling surprisingly good, but I knew after last week that this feeling was fleeting.

I brought water with me and was sipping during the entire first loop. At the midpoint, I downed some choco espresso beans, and half of a Clif Protein Bar. After about 5 minutes I started back out on the second loop. My energy kept up a little longer than the previous week, although it didn't take long for the soreness and fatigue to set it. The BIG positive this week was that it wasn't pouring rain. While it was still cloudy during the first loop, I emerged from a pretty dense section of the trail and almost felt the sun punch me in the face. But in a good way. I instantly felt a wave of energy, and I'm sure it was both physical and mental. It carried me for the rest of the run, however slow it may have been.

I finished the first loop about 5 minutes slower than the week before, and the second loop about 15 minutes slower. Might route on the second loop was not exactly the same, but I'm sure if it would account for much.

On a side note, my feet are definitely shrinking. I think this is mostly due to the Vibrams and the MT101 minimalist shoes I have been wearing. They must be tightening up my arches considerably, because my shoe size is decreasing at an exponential rate. I'm finding that the dress shoes I own once fit me, but now are causing me some pain. It's like walking around in clown shoes all day. Will have to look into this.

21 miles in 4:14

No comments: