Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The triple incident

Today's workout called for eight miles. I brought my phone to gauge distance as best I could, but I still think it is falling a bit short. I don't really think I am running 11 minute miles. I mean c'mon. I'm not too familiar with the technology, but I'm pretty sure these phones and the Garmin devices use the same satellite. I don't know how one might get a better signal than the other, though. I guess it doesn't really matter. At this point a mile or two is just splitting hairs. I'm not really targeting any goal finishing time for this race anyway.

I was hoping for eight miles but it looks like I fell a mile short. Here is the summary. I was making my way through some overgrown trail that outlines the backyards of several homes, which on a route that is the prelude to the Cut. I had my headphones on and didn't notice the faint sound of danger until it was too late...dogs. A German Shepherd, and English Mastiff, and a pug. Despite the fear that was racing up my spine, I managed to let out a chuckle at this sight and told myself that there had to be some sort of invisible fence. In the back of my mind I kept thinking that German Shepherds don't have the best social personalities. I mean, they are trained to be police dogs and take down criminals...violently. I spotted the three of them from maybe a hundred yards away and kept up my pace, although keeping them in the corner of my eye. They kept advancing and I couldn't see anyone else in the backyard. Finally, they started crushing through the brush that made up the boundary between the yard and the trail. At this point, I think it's OK to admit that I $hit myself. I froze and the two bigger dogs circled me, barking and growling constantly, while the pug struggled to make it through the thick brush. The German Shepherd, while never making contact, was snapping at my wrist. After what seemed like forever, the owner finally came running out the back door, calling them all back and thankfully they obeyed. I didn't wait for any signal from her and took off down the remainder of the trail, unfortunately in the wrong direction I did miss the turn at the base of the cut and tried slogging through some marsh before giving up and turning around. I was a little hesitant to go back, but it was the only way and thankfully the dogs were back inside by now. The owner was standing out in the middle of the yard, staring at me and I wondered how many four-wheelers she has seen and cursed at while speeding by on this trail.

I took the long meandering route up the hill to add some miles onto the run. Lot of fallen logs to maneuver and I was rocking the Precisions, which have decent treads but not amazing ones. I nimbly bound over a waist-high log, planting one foot on top to carry me over, and the smooth bark-less trunk was too slick from the recent rain. It was like stepping on a sheet of ice. Luckily I had enough momentum carrying me forward so that I didn't land on the log and slow enough reaction time so that I didn't stick out my arm to brace my fall. I landed perfectly horizontal on the soft, rain-soaked ground-the remaining air in my lungs pushed out with a bellowing "Oooommf". I popped up, thankful that it hadn't turned out worse, and chuckled at the spill I had just taken.

I was dreading the notion that all bad things come in "3's," noticing the looming storm clouds over head I thought maybe this day would culminate in a lightning strike. Or at least a falling tree branch. The closest I came to fate was strong cloud of Christmas trees in the air. I thought maybe I had a brain tumor for a hot second, but rounded a corner and came across a few landscapers chugging a few beers next to recently fallen pine trees. Close call. I took Lapp Rd. home, up the hill on Tech Dr. and called it a day. Pretty good run.

No comments: