Sunday, April 17, 2011

Secondary long run

The run today was a struggle. After finishing the long run yesterday, I was feeling pretty sore and lethargic for a few hours afterwards. I refrained from taking any Ibuprofen or an ice bath to give my body a chance to develop some sort of natural response to the stresses of long runs. Plus, I wanted to remain in as close a state as possible for the run today. All that went out the window when Brig mentioned we were going to dinner for dad's birthday. I slipped on some compression socks that have been sitting in my drawer for years, unused. They worked like magic, or did a pretty good job as a placebo. After a few hours, I did notice any soreness anywhere. I spent the night sleeping in them and I think they rolled down a bit, because the lethargy and tight muscles were back when I woke up. Nothing severe, but enough to make me want to stay away from my sneakers all day.

I finally got some motivation around 2PM and headed down to the park. I had no intentions of making my way up into the trails, as I didn't think my legs would carry me that far. The 50K isn't really much of a mountain marathon either, so I'll keep my hill training reserved for Saturdays. It was a good thing, too, because I couldn't get out of first gear for the entire run. I brought some tunes and podcasts with me to drown out the little voice in my head that kept telling me to turn around and go home. It might have actually been mentally easier to head for the trails, instead of the out and back route I did on Forbidden Drive.

All this combined with the fact that I was only wearing a T shirt in 60 degree weather. I wouldn't normally think this would be a problem, but for some reason today I was really chilly. Looking forward to a day off tomorrow. Dinner was pork tenderloin, Caesar salad and a baked potato with Brig. I promptly passed out on the couch afterwards.

10 miles in 1:31

No comments: