Monday, September 27, 2010

Bench Press, Back Extension, Wood Chop, Revised Angie

Early afternoon

Bench Press 10, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
Loads: 105, 175, 205, 205, 205, 205

Back Extensions 4 X 10
Load: 25

Wood Chop-10 each side
Load: 80?

Angie
100 Pullups
100 Pushups
100 Situps

18:43

Early evening

25 minute swim. About 1150 m.

Workout comments: The bench press felt real good. My grip was pretty close as well. I think the metabolic arm progression has really been helping to strengthen my triceps. I've read this can often be a limiting factor in increasing bench press. I also read another interesting article on the crossfit journal about conjugate variation in terms of strength gains. The basic message of the article was that neural pathways often take much longer to recover than skeletal muscle does. However, by varying the exercise even in the slightest manner (adding resistance bands, bar thickness, hand/feet placement, etc) can put demands on entirely different neural pathways, than practicing the same exercise week after week. In addition, train week areas of the lift with smaller lifts to improve overall conditioning. For example, week hamstrings or glutes during the squat can be improved by working on good mornings.

Interesting thought. I wonder how they can scientifically test for this sort of thing, or if they practice one particular methodology, and then interpret the results accordingly.

2 comments:

John W said...

I thought you were off the foot for 6 weeks?

Lee said...

Well I've stayed off of it technically. I'm not doing any lower body exercises. Injuring your ankle is the best if you really want to improve your pullups...