Friday, May 14, 2010

Cleans, Bench Press, Deadlift, Annie

Mid-afternoon

WU: shoulder dislocates, 10 pullups, 10 pushups, 10 situps, 10 back extensions, 10 squats, 10 cleans (117)

Workout: Cleans 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
137, 147, 157, 162, 167*
* Failed the last rep but took another shot and got it. About 3 minutes rest between sets.

Bench Press: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
190
About 2 minutes rest between sets.

Deadlift: 3, 3, 3
277
About 2 minutes rest between sets.

Annie: 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 (Double-Unders/Situps)
8:30

Workout comments: The first three rounds of cleans went very well. Even though the weight was relatively light, I was really pulling myself under and catching the bar. Landing position was really good too. Felt like my back was pretty straight, at least as straight as it gets with my lack of flexibility. I had to revert to power cleans on the last two sets (still performed a front squat, just did not catch the weight lower to the floor), as a result of not wanting to drop the weights on my office gym floor and my sudden case of pussitis. I really have to get over the hump with cleans and either go or don't go.

Bench press was pretty solid. I had to use the Smith machine for lack of equipment. I was watching a video on the Crossfit Journal of Chris Spealler talking about various weight lifting regimens. One of the aspects he was insistent upon was training at 80-85% of your 1 rep max in order to seriously build strength, optimally using 3-6 sets of 3-6 reps. I don't have a 1 rep max for the bench press yet but I'm guestimating it was pretty close.

Deadlifts were good. Working at the lower weight, it was much easier to focus on form than going for max weight.

The last aspect was the short metcon: Annie. I was getting pretty frustrated with the double unders at first. I know I can easily do 30 or more at a clip. But for some reason I kept getting hung up. In the third set, I finally got my wrist motion down and they were pretty smooth from there on out. The situps were defintely the limiting factor. I was struggling to finish them from the second set on. Form was not even in the back of my mind. My feet were anchored and I was flailing my arms like the wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man. You get the point.

Body: Feeling very good this morning, despite a little grogginess. Nothing really sore.

Nutrition: Whey protein shake after the workout today. I think I'll start doing this after all pure strength workouts. Otherwise very good today.

No comments: