Friday, May 28, 2010

Fitness Trail

One of the great things about the new house is the proximity to Sutcliffe Park. The park has loads of great features, including several baseball fields, several basketball courts that are always full, a variety of fitness stations (including pushup, pullup, and parallel bars, and a running/biking path that encircles the park for nearly a mile. I didn't have any energy for a high speed Crossfit workout, so I took to the running path in my Vibrams for a few laps. There were several baseball and basketball games going on and just as I started a light rain began to fall. I don't think I have played organized baseball in over 10 years, but I defintely remember what it was like to play in the rain without the threat of thunder and lightning. For a split second, it was like playing for a major league team. Of course, most of the kids that were playing yesterday were under the age of 12, so there was more playing in the mud than focusing on baseball.

I got through about 3.5 miles in 32 minutes with no ankle pain. I threw in 4 sets of 10 pullups on every lap around the park. Actually it was 10 pullups, 10 chinups, 10 neutral grip pullups, 10 alternating grip pullups. It felt good to be outside yesterday.

When I got back I started to set up my garage. The ceiling doesn't look nearly strong enough to support a grown man's weight, not to mention a grown man's kipping weight. But there is defintely room for a weight set, a squat rack, and a treadmill for the wife. I started mentally improvising some workouts while I was standing there: front squats with the heavy bag, parallette pushups, HSPUs...

No comments: