Thursday, May 20, 2010

A double whammy metcon

Late afternoon

AMRAP in 12:00

10 Pushups
10 Renegade Rows (40#)
20 Mountain Climbers

14 + 2 reps

5 rounds for time: 45# DBs

5 Deadlifts
5 Hang Power Cleans
5 Push Press
5 Squats

25 Situps

*If the weight touches the ground in the middle of a round, 5 burpee fault.

7:26

Workout comments: I tried a similar workout a few weeks back with increasing weight, but still with the idea that you could not drop the dumbbells. I made it up to 65# I think, so 45 seemed like a good place to start. I usually make it a point to go hard during the first round, gauge the estimated time to finish, and try to beat that time. In this case, I finished the first round in approx. 1:34 and the second round in 1:30. I could feel it getting tougher, but wanted to beat 7:30 for the 5 rounds. I really had to push it out at the end. The last round of situps killed me.

The first metcon was tough. I should have gone for lighter weight if I wanted to get a more cardio-focused workout. The pushups were all unbroken, but the mountain climbers are tough towards the end because you are forced to hold your body in basically a plank position. Felt good for both workouts.

No comments: