Monday, May 10, 2010

Mountain Biking

Nothing noteworthy happening over the weekend, but I did get in a good moutain bike ride on Friday afternoon. I had a funeral to go to on Monday, and seeing as I had already taken the full day off, I headed out into the Wissahickon on sunny, 70F day. Since I've been living in Conshohocken, I've been sticking mainly to the NorthWestern side of the park. Unless I'm out for a longer trail run, I don't tend to venture out past Valley Green Inn too often. It's just easier to park on NorthWestern and there are some pretty good loops that start and end from there. Some of the trails are pretty technical on this side, and there are some pretty steep and rocky hills that can bring a beginner like myself to tears. Sometimes I find myself spending more time walking my bike than actually riding it. So I figured I'd see if there was any easier terrain on the other side.

Trails were defintely better for mountain bikers, if you happen to be looking for a smooth ride with some challenging, albeit doable hills that can be easily mastered in a few tries. I was pushing through a couple of creeks




and sailing some some good hills before I got sidetracked onto an unmarked trail that was clearly not intended for bikers. Rather than turn back, which is something I should defintely start doing more, I pushed forward knowing that the turn off would be just up ahead. All in all, it was a great ride. If I could get over the mental hump of packing up the bike and making the drive over to the park, I think I would definitely start doing this much more often. Maybe I'll just have to start bring the bike to work, so I won't have to go home beforehand.

It lasted about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Distance unknown, but I would say roughly 10 miles.




No comments: