Thursday, May 27, 2010

Short Metcon

Late afternoon

Workout: 3 Rounds for Time

21 Kettlebell Swings (53#)
15 Chest-to-Bar Pullups
9 Burpees
200m Run

10:25

Finish it off with 50 Partner Med Ball Situps (20#)

Workout comments: I guess I had one more workout left at Crossfit Inspire and I got a chance to meet the other co-owner, Darin. Seemed like a really nice guy, just like Matt. Both of them seemed to be from other backgrounds, but migrated towards Crossfit several years ago and liked it so much they decided to open their own gym. They defintely have the people skills to keep a gym like this going.

The workout was pretty much a compilation of all my "preferable" movements. Movements I do not like and should probably work on: box jumps, snatches and overhead squats (bad shoulders), and overhead walking lunges, just to name a few. I took a look at the leaderboard and saw that Darin had just pumped out a 9:52 earlier that day. I wasn't sure if it was doable, but I happened to listen in on a conversation he was having with another member on just how he broke up the workout. It went pretty much like this: First round was unbroken. Second round he rested once during the pullups. Third round he rested once during the pullups. And he pretty much ran to each station during the workout. No big deal. I figured if he was going to such lengths laying out how he went through this workout with this guy, then maybe I should keep him in the corner of my eye and go off his pace...Sounded like a good idea at the time.

I finished the first round unbroken and was pretty pumped. I came back in from the run in first and saw that another member, Lika, was pretty close behind. She was pumping out the KB swings like it was nothing and the guy I was pacing was catching up fast. I made it through the second round of KB swings with resting and pretty much took one break during the pullups. I couldn't catch Lika on the second run and tried to make a push during the third round but the pullups were just too much. I actually finished the run only 15 seconds behind her and about a minute ahead of the guy I was trying to pace. Not too bad. I should also mention that Lika finished the Med Ball Clean, DU, and Push Press workout as Rx'ed in 15:00 flat. This was a full 8:36 faster than me. Pretty gnarly.

I was getting some criticism on my KB swings. Apparently I bend too much at the waist and don't squat enough during these. The style I use is common during competition because they are quicker, but Darin suggested I emply more of a squat to save my lower back in the long term. Everything else went pretty well.

No comments: