Friday, May 21, 2010

Crossfit Inspire, Fran

Early morning

WU: Dynamic warmup-stretches, squats, PVC shoulder flexibility, shuffline, plyometrics

Workout: Fran

21-15-9

Thrusters (95#)
Pullups

4:54

Workout comments: A new PR on Fran and a 2010 goal accomplished! This was the second workout I tried at Crossfit Inspire and of course Fran had to be on the menu. After a good warmup, everyone got their weights and stations set up and waited nervously for the clock to start. There were some familiar faces there from yesterday, but a much larger turnout in general. As with yesterday, there was a pretty diverse mix of people in attendence. The workout would be completed in heats, with each person having a spotter/rep counter for the workout. There was an odd number of people, so unfortunately I was counter-less. I placed myself next to a guy who looked like he could run over a truck. From his gear, he was obviously a football player: most likely a lineman, but maybe a linebacker. He looked like he would kill me on the thrusters, but I was hoping to make up the time on the pullups. I really didn't know what to expect...

The first round of thrusters was not my best. Although I didn't put the bar down and maintained a pretty quick consistent pace, I was thrown off a few times by the corrections of Matt/Darin. He said I was not extending my shoulders at the top of the thruster. I was defintely locking out my arms, but I learned later that he almost wanted me to move my elbos behind my head in order to achieve a pure vertical stance. I tried my best to compensate, and did as best as I could considering I was having a hard time understanding anything.

Pullups next. I never had the luxury of a sturdy pullup bar that could within stand a decent kip, and chalk on top of that. I had tried Barbara the other day and only got close to 15 kipping pullups, so that was I was shooting for. I was elated when I flew past my 15th rep with energy left to finish out the set unbroken. First time ever. I attacked the thrusters riding that high, but it quickly waned as I had to drop the bar after 10 reps. I was now noticeably behind the football stud and was desperately trying to catch him. I couldn't see how he was doing on the pullups, if he had good form, but I had to assume he was killing them. I banged out the remain thrusters and hit the next set of pullups with a similar break at #10. The final set of thrusters and pullups were unbroken, but I just couldn't catch the guy next to me who finished about 1 minute faster.

I was pretty bummed that I couldn't catch him, so it took almost a minute or two for it to register that I had just surpassed my Fran goal for 2010. I couldn't believe it. Crossfit Inspire is looking better by the day.

No comments: