Thursday, May 6, 2010

Some new trails...

Well not exactly new. My new job assignment has me working in Malvern for the next few months. One of the great things is the group of guys have made it a ritual to run almost every day at lunch. I've gone out with these guys once or twice before and there are a series of trails that are comprised of nothing more than some trailblazed single tracks and some construction utility roads that wind next to a sprawling nature reserve. The trails are not well-groomed by any means. In fact, on my trip out with John W. yesterday, we got a lost a few times because it was tough to tell what exactly was a "trail." I felt like I needed to hone my tracking skills in order to navigate through here, but I guess John has been through enough times to get a sense of what is what. After a slight detour, we were in the nature reserve and some more defined trails. To say the going was getting easier was an understatement. There were a few creek crossings that made things pretty interesting.

I couldn't help but think about the amount of running fitness that I've lost over the past several months. What should have been an easy run in the park turned into an arduous task. It's still enjoyable to be out running, especially on trails, but I can't help but remember what it was like to be to power up a steep hill and still have tons of energy left in the tank. It's frustrating to say the least. Hopefully I can start putting in some more miles over the next few months and build up a solid base again.

Today it was about 5 miles in about 50 minutes.

No comments: