Saturday, May 15, 2010

Road Cycling

It has been such a great May this year. With the exception of a few days of rain here and there, the weather has been cool, sunny and pretty much perfect. For the last few years it seems that Spring is becoming less and less of a season and more of brief transitional period between Winter and Summer. It always seemed that one day we were having snow or freezing rain and then next the temperature was pushing past 80F. What's even better is that the rain we have been getting is sticking to the weekdays, leaving the weekends open for anything.

Anything for me was a trip out on my road bike, something I have neglected over the past year. The great thing about Conshohocken is that my house is literally a stone's throw away from the Schuylkill River Trail, a mostly paved section of trail that runs parallel to the Schuylkill River from the Art Museum in Philadelphia all the way out to Oaks, where is joins with the Perkiomen Trail and continues even further west. I can take the trail until it makes this transition and pick up a solid 10 miles before turning home. I kept things relatively light, just trying to make myself comfortable during the ride. On the turnaround, I threw in a 9 minute tempo ride, courtesy of Crossfit Endurance. Since the speed and distance function on my bike computer is temporarily disabled, I relied on my iPhone to track the data. The best thing about this is that I can ride solely based on feel. The bad thing is that sometimes you "feel" like you are riding a lot faster than you actually are. In 9 minutes I only managed 3.1 miles, according to my GPS, which to make myself feel better I will assume is slightly off.

For the day, about 21.2 miles in 84 minutes.

No comments: