Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Bench Press, Wood Chop, Chinups, Shoulder Press

Early Afternoon

Bench Press 5 X 5
Load: 205#

Wood Chop (10 each side)
Load: 90? (Malvern)
*Supersets

Weighted Strict Chinups 4 X 5
Load: 30

Dumbbell Shoulder Press 4 X 5
Load: 100
*Supersets

Workout comments: I've been trying this new warmup involving a drill I saw on the CF website. It was designed by Kelly Starrett, and involves taking two lacrosse balls taped together, and placing under the vertebrae while lying on the floor. Take both hands and place them above your head, gently oscillating up and down. Gradually move the lacrosse balls up your back, one vertebrate at a time. The whole drill should take only two minutes.

I was hestitant to try this, but was surprised to find today that my shoulder pain has significantly subsided during warmups on the bench press, and in particular, during the DB shoulder presses. This could be due to my increase in swimming the past week, which could be stretching out my shouders and lats. Or it could have been the decreased weight I used during the shoulder presses. Either way, I'm happy with the results.

Both the bench press and the shoulder press felt easier than usual. It's a different world when you don't have to worry about nagging aches and pains.

No comments: