Sunday, January 9, 2011

Long Run

Early afternoon

After another failed attempt at morning running, I opted for the books and chores instead. This is probably the best formula, as I know I would not get these things done post run.

I started and ended in the Wissahickon. Hard to keep track of the pace, since I'm not really sure of the distances the various trails are listed at. I started at Bells Mill Rd. and headed out onto the western side of the trail first. I stuck mostly to the high trails, dipping down towards the creek when necessary. One trail doesn't offer another way down, a mistake I've made a few times but can never seem to remember. I had a pair of YakTrax with me. They were nothing more than a pair of rubber soles designed to fit snuggly around your sneaker, but they had several screws/nuts fastened to the bottom. Minimum discomfort and maximum function. Several times I had to cross small streams where each rock was covered in ice. These gizmos did the job excellent. Much of the trails were packed snow, which had also melted and re-frozen, forming small ice patches throughout the run. But I honestly didn't notice them and kept my momentum going despite all the potential pitfalls.

Last week was my first attempt at what should become a weekly long run and I definitely felt the effects of it during and immediately after. It was a differently story today. Granted, my pace was probably much slower than last week with the varying terrain, steep climbs, and packed snow, but my hip flexors, quads, and ankle didn't feel nearly as sore throughout the run. I stopped only a few times to snap some pictures with my phone, and to move out the way of some ballsy mountain bikers. Other than that, it was a comfortable effort that didn't take a turn for the worse as I was expecting it would.

It really is picturesque in the winter. The temperature wasn't bad and it almost makes me glad that was don't have 90+ degree weather right now with saturating humidity.

Unknown distance in 123 minutes.

No comments: