Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Strength

Early afternoon

Clean and Jerk 5 X 3
Load: 140, 140, 160, 160, 170

Squats 10 X 2
Load: 165
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 10 X 5
Load: 120
*On the minute

Skills

2 X 10 Reverse Lunges
2 X 20 Calf Raises

Workout comments: Failed the 5th rep of the 9th set of incline dumbbell presses. They started getting to me towards the end. The last set of cleans turned into power cleans. I realize these might be harder than normal cleans, but they feel more comfortable than catching the bar so close to the ground.

I tried running a few miles on the treadmill. I made it half a mile before stopping. No serious pain, but it felt a little odd and I thought it best to stop. Maybe the fact that I was running on the treadmill had a little to do with it.

Body
: Chest a little sore today. It has been almost a month since I worked a bench press. Some grogginess upon waking this morning.
Sleep: About 8.5 hours. Started using melatonin supplements for better quality sleep. Seems to work well at helping me dose off, but I still seem to be waking sporadically throughout the night and having trouble waking in the morning. I will try adding protein shakes before bed and see if this helps alleviate some of the muscular soreness.
Nutrition: Whey protein, fish oil, multi-vitamin in the morning, whey protein post-workout. Another whey protein shake just before bed. Combined with steak for dinner, this added up to about 180g protein throughout the day. I've read various articles claiming 0.7-1g per pound of body weight is a good amount depending on physical activity. After today, I realized how hard it is to get the required amount of protein. This is most likely the reason for my chronic soreness each morning.

No comments: