Thursday, March 18, 2010

Active Rest Day

Late afternoon

Workout: Some miles in the park. 64 minutes

Workout comments: It was time. It had to be time. I took off from the Northwestern parking lot on my traditional loop. The loop isn't finished because I stopped my GPS prematurely to take a picture of this monstrous uprooted tree:

The root structure was a good 2-3 feet taller than I was and it wasn't the first one I had spotted. I had read a report a few months ago of a woman dying after being struck by a falling branch. She had her iPod playing and the music was still playing when emergency workers arrived. Sadly, she had already died. I can't imagine what it must be like to wander through the trails and witness trees like this giving way. It's just one example of what all this precipitation has done to the ground. I was moving along at a relatively slow pace, not pushing too hard on the uphills and trying to maintain control on the downhills. This is something I think is particularly difficult, even if you're not a fan of blindly bounding down trails trying to avoid rocks and roots with less than a second's notice.
With the extremely nice weather we have been having this week, it was no wonder that I couldn't even find a parking space and Forbidden Drive was packed with runners and walkers. The trails too were flowing with mountain bikers, which is surprising because I have no idea how they can power through so much mud. Regardless, these are all signs that spring is coming. I have no complaints about that.
Nutrition: OK
Body: Lower back still sore, but generally OK.

No comments: