Friday, March 26, 2010

Intermittent Fasting

Another rest day. I stopped by the hardware store and bought some materials to make some paralletes. After about 1 hour and 2 separate trips to the hardware store, I finally finished. It wasn't that difficult to make, although one of them seems kind of wobbly. Unfortunately, I waited for the glue to dry before making sure they were level on a flat surface. No matter. I'm sure they'll work just fine for my purposes. I didn't try them out yet. Just wanted to give them a chance to fully dry and set. Here they are:




On another note, this extended rest period may give me a chance to try out an idea that I heard of from Kathy who teaches boot camp and CrossFit and my office. It's called Intermittent Fasting and it's supposed to help rewire your brain to correctly understand the sensation of hunger and not just respond to various advertising stimuli or the normal eating time cues.

By no means am I going to implement this as a full time excursion, or even pretend that I am going to do so. But I figured I would test out this practice, see how my body feels after a few days, and take it from there. I believe in the benefits of eating clean above all else. When it comes to the Paleo Diet, the Zone Diet, and Intermittent Fasting, I think that imposing too many rules on how we eat takes the joy out of something our society has come to thrive on. By this I mean that food (meals in particular) give us an opportunity to come together as family and friends. Just think of how many events are centered around food. While I haven't attempted some of these diets, I have read about the various benefits they can produce. I am planning on attempting some of these, but with my mind focused on training, food intake might just overwhelm me with too many restrictions this early in the game. For now, I'll stick with intermittent fasting: trying to go 12-18 hours without eating at least 2-3 times this week and see if it has any overall effect on hunger sensations, weights, mood, etc.

No comments: