Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Boot Camp

Early afternoon

WU: light jogging, high knees, heel kicks, shuffling, caterpillar walks with pushup and mountain climber, and 20 air squats.

Workout: AMRAP in 20 minutes

10 Suitcase Deadlifts (50# DBs)
10 Front Squats (77# BB)
10 Push Press (77# BB)
10 Double Unders

10 rounds + 30 reps

AMRAP in 3 minutes: situps

104 (previous best was 105)

Workouts comments: After the 4th round, I switched from the 50# DBs to the 77# BB for the deadlifts. I have tried doing these sorts of deadlifts in the past and don't like the outward angle they force my shoulders to maintain on the lift, in addition to the closed stance you have to take in order to compensate for the wide grip. Maybe that's the point of this exercise, but I don't feel comfortable doing them this way. Maybe if I had longer arms.

Once I did switch to the barbell for the last 6+ rounds of this workout, the other exercises became more fluid (with less breaks). There were about 10 people in the class, all with various weights pertaining to their various levels of fitness. In the last few months, there have really only been two people who have consistently beaten me or finished within seconds of me during these workouts. Andy, who uses similar weights as me and trains at Central Bucks Crossfit twice weekly, wasn't there today. Maureen, who uses the heaviest weights of the all the women (and a few men) was there. I was 7-8 reps behind her the entire time. I was doing double-unders and she was doing singles (60 vs. 10). This unevens the playing field slightly, but it was still motivation I could thrive on. I think I edged her out by a few reps at the end, but I couldn't really hear what her total was. She beat me on the situps by 3, though.

Body: Sore in the legs and lower back. This is becoming somewhat of a pattern.
Nutrition: Good

No comments: