Friday, March 5, 2010

Grace, Pullups, Uphill walk

Late Afternoon

WU: 2 Rounds
10 Deadlifts (137#), 10 Pushups
Samson Stretch
Shoulder Dislocates
Clean and Jerk practice

Workout: Grace (137#-anyway overhead)

3:57

Every minute on the minute:

3 Strict Chinups
3 Knees-to-elbow
3 Strict Pullups

Made it through a measly 6 rounds

1 mile walking uphill, treadmill 15% grade

17:06 (HR=160BPM)

  • Workout Comments: I think in the past I was doing Grace as a strict squat clean. I just found out that it is generally done from ground to overhead in any fashion you choose. This makes a a big difference, as my previous PR on February 3 was 7:59, using only 117#. Maybe I'll just continue with this WOD as if they were strict squat cleans and try the actual workout again in 6 months.
  • I continue to struggle with pullups. I'm going to have to make a serious effort to learn how to kip, and then find a location that allows me to do so. The pullup bar in my gym and the one I wedge into my door frame just aren't going to cut it anymore. Regardless, I should have seen some improvement in my strict pullups, considering the volume that I have been performing over the past few months. I was seeing a bigger return when I was "lifting" several months ago.
  • I was also very surprised by the amount of effort it took to walk uphill at a 17:00 min/mile pace. This brings to light my times during the past several Pretzle City Sports trail races in Reading. The effort of running on trails really cannot compare to the effort of running on asphault. You may think that you are moving at a brisk pace, only to get home and find out that you ran 75% of the distance that you thought you ran.
  • Body: the soreness in my quads, hamstrings, and lower back has considerably subsided since the boot camp workout on Tuesday (Thank God). My ankle has also felt much better since I have been wearing the brace. I'll give it another few days before wearing it for workouts only.

No comments: