Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Back Squats, Abs, and Jumpies

Early afternoon

WU: Shoulder dislocates, alt. quad stretch, 6 X 30 sec alt. one-legged Bosu Ball holds, air squats.

Workout: Back Squats 5 X 3

Loads: 175#, 195#, 215#, 235#, 245#

AMRAP in 3:00 (Situps)
87

1:00 on, 1:00 off (jumpies) X 3
20, 22, 16

For each jumpie, drop into a full air squat, explode upwards and touch the ceiling. Ceiling was 12-14 inches above my raised arm on flat feet. Failed rep if legs did not drop below parallel or I did not touch the ceiling.

Late afternoon

An easy 4 mile SRT loop in about 37 minutes. One of the few bad things about living in Conshohocken is the lack of running routes in the area. It really is a municipal island in that it is surrounded on all sides by the Schuylkill River, 476, Ridge Ave, and the ritsy hilly neighborhoods of Andorra and Harts Lane. There are few safe crossings across any of these blockades, which means you need to do a little trekking to make it to better surroundings. At least it is close to the bike path and the Wissahickon.

Workout comments: I felt like I could have gone a little higher on the back squats, but this was my first attempt at a 3 rep max. I tried (successfully) to get my legs lower than parallel on each rep. I'm not sure but I think this was some others have referred to as clean depth. I defintely noticed that my calves/ankles lack the flexibility to keep my back straight at the lowest portion of this while still keeping my feet flat on the floor.

I was defintely feeling the strain on my abs during the situp. Normally I can break 100 situps in 3:00, but I was just not feeling it today. Likewise, I had originally intended on 5 intervals of jumpies, but I was feeling some twinge in my ankle, so I cut them short. I don't think I've done jumpies since college, when we use to have to them all the time for crew. I don't think there is anything that I despised more than jumpies after morning practice and now I seem to be doing them willingly.

No comments: