Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hotel Metcon

Been in Boston for a work training for the past few days, so I have to come up with interesting ways to incorporate crossfit. Of course there's always bodyweight workouts, but I get so bored of them after a while. Pure strength training is out, since no hotel would ever assume the insurance costs of owning a squat rack, barbells, and plates. I actually googled the nearest Crossfit affiliate to the hotel and came up with Crossfit Fenway. They deal with some interesting problems up here. Even the crossfitters wear their Red Sox pride on their sleeves. With yesterday being Marathon Monda (with an additional 11:00AM Red Sox game against the Yankees) they warned against parking at their facility. I would have liked to have taken a trip down there, but it was still 13.6 miles from my hotel and I am car-less. Fortunately, the hotel gym here did have dumbells and you can always make good use of those, especially when they range up to 50#.


WU: 2 Rounds

10 Squats, 10 Dips, 10 Situps, 10 Back Extensions, Samson Stretch


Workout: 4 Rounds for Time


10 Man Makers (2 X 25#)
20 Situps
10 KB Swings (50#)
20 OH Walking Lunges (45#)


Man Makers are a brutal movement I learned from the Boot Camp instructor Kathy. Basically, you start with a pair of dumbells, drop down in burpee-like fashion and complete a pushup. Then immediately into a Renegade Row, pulling both dumbells alternately back past your hip. Then pull your feet up under you into a landing position, peform a squat clean and finish with a thruster in one fluid movement. In reality, it takes just as long to complete one rep as it did for me to type all of this, so 10 reps is pretty taxing.


Time: 19:56


Average HR: 161 BPM on the monitor, but it was fading out during the Man Makers, most likely because of the bending I was doing at the waist. I was getting regular readings between 160 and 170, with my final HR reading at 180 at the very end of the workout.

No comments: