Sunday, April 4, 2010

A whole lot of reps...

Early afternoon

The culmination of an awesome weekend, and I was left not wanting to aggravate my ankle after running 5 miles yesterday. I took out the Vibrams and took a short job over to Sutcliffe Park, which is only 300 feet from where Brigid and I might be living shortly. I was looking for an adequate pullup bar. Many of the parks in the area have been installing "fit tracks": walking tracks approximately a quarter mile long with various structures aimed at improving overall fitness. You can find pullup bars, parallel bars, balance beams, etc. A crossfitters dream. I headed over in the middle of what can only be described as an April paradise. Ironically, my ankle felt like old times and I was tempted to push it further. But if I want to even think about a competitive summer, I had better take it easy until I'm feeling 100%. I had the following workout thrown together.

7 strict pullups on the minute for 10 minutes (first 3 rounds I started at 5 rounds because I didn't want to overdo it). Followed immediately by:

15 chest-to-deck pushpus on the minute for 10 minutes.

Kipping pullups practice

And then the kicker: 1000 air squats for time

43:06

I broke down the air squats into rounds of 100. Mental toughness is defintely a factor. I wouldn't say that the workout was excruciating, but it was tough to keep count and focus on finishing. After about 20 minutes, I couldn't believe I was only half way through. It was mentally draining. I'm sure I'll be feeling this for the next few days.

Workout comments: I wanted to get some muscle endurance workouts into my training plan over the next few weeks. This defintely fits the bill. I also needed to work on my pullups, since I seem to be seeing no improvement in this particular area, although I don't really put a whole lot of time into them.
Nutrition: decent, nothing to brag about.
Body: I woke up adequately rested, having done no resistance training yesterday. Ankle felt great.

No comments: